Swimming at the USC
Besides being a competition sport, for many people swimming is an ideal way to work on staying active and improving their health in a relaxing way. With your sport subscription you can swim for free at certain times in one of the two swimming pools located in Leiden. Stiff muscles function far better under water and less strain is placed on joints. In addition to burning considerably more calories when exercising in water, it also improves your stamina, suppleness, heart and lungs. Swimming is therefore a welcome and relaxing change to your weekly workout schedule. Combine fitness, swimming and group classes and stay in balance!
Sport schedule Aquamania training 2020-2021
|Monday||22.15||23.15||Training Aquamania||De Zijl Recreation pool|
|Monday||21.45||22.45||Aquamania Waterpolo||De Zijl Competition pool|
|Wednesday||21.30||22.30||Aquamania Waterpolo||5 Meibad Competition pool|
|Thursday||21.30||22.30||Training Aquamania||De Zijl Competition pool|
USC Membership and swimming
You can only use the pool if you have a valid membership at the USC.
- Access to the swimming pool is through the USC Access Control App and by scanning the QR code at the reception of De Zijl. Show the receptionist the access allowed screen in the app. See here for more information: https://www.uscleiden.com/corona/toegang-tot-usc.html
- It's not possible to book a spot for free swimming in advance. At the pool you might have to wait a bit before space is available. A maximum of 30 people per location is now in effect (both members of the USC and others). Please be aware that you very likely will have to wait before you can use the pools and might not even be allowed in if the pool is full.
- It's mandatory to wear a face mask in all the public locations in the swimming pools and keep 1.5m distance.
- Please visit www.leidswater.nl for all the current COVID-19 measures in the swimming pools.
Free swimming 2020-2021
Vijf Mei swimming pool, Boshuizerlaan 1, Leiden
|Monday||21.15 -||22.30||Free swimming||Entrance from 21.15|
|Tuesday||15.30 -||16.15||Free swimming||Entrance from 15.25|
|Wednesday||15.45 -||16.30||Free swimming||Entrance from 15.40|
|Thursday||21.15 -||22.30||Free swimming||Entrance from 21.15|
|Friday||15.30 -||16.15||Free swimming||Entrance from 15.25|
|Sunday||13.30 -||14.30||Free swimming||Entrance from 13.25|
Swimming pool De Zijl, Paramaribostraat 66, Leiden
|Tuesday||Recreatiebad||20.00 -||21.00||Free swimming||Entrance from 19.45|
|Friday||Recreatiebad||20.00 -||21.00||Free swimming||Entrance from 19.45|
NB: due to the corona measures only a limited number of people are allowed in the pool. You might have to wait your turn. Please take note of the corona measures as published om www.leidswater.nl and in De Zijl and always follow the instructions of the employee's of De Zijl.
- Come alone and at the right time;
- Come to the accommodation no earlier than 5 minutes before the agreed start time;
- Always follow the instructions of authorized persons;
- Go to the toilet at home before the pool visit;
- Put on the swimwear at home. At a designated location in the bathing facility, as a swimmer you only have to take off the “overclothes”, but them in your bag and store that in the designated place, including shoes. After swimming you can change in the designated areas;
- Disinfect your hands on entry and exit;
- Limit the use of unnecessary areas in the accommodation;
- Shower at home before and after swimming;
- After swimming, leave the accommodation as soon as possible via the routing to the designated exit.
- Go home immediately if during the sports activity symptoms arise such as: nose cold, cough, shortness of breath or fever;
NB. Entrance up to 60 minutes after the start of free swimming. After 60 minutes entrance will be blocked. Free swimming is not possible with a day membership or inspiration pass.
Both De Zijl and Vijf mei bad have lockers where you can store your valuables/clothes while swimming. The use of lockers is €0,50. This is a non refunadable fee. You have to pay cash.
In the fall and winter, swimming pool De Zijl is not accessible for Student Swimming on the last Friday of the month due to Disco swimming. Check out the closing times of the swimming pools here.
FROM COUCH POTATO TO GO-GETTER!
Swimmers such as Michael Phelps always make an impression with their muscular and athletic physique. As well as fitness, strength plays an important role when competing at the top. That is the reason that many top swimmers spend hours in the gym working on their starting speed, explosive strength and stamina in addition to hours spent in the pool. Train daily swimming for free at De Zijl or the 5 Meibad, or join in with the sessions at the Aquamania student organisation in Leiden. For a training routine focused on improving your swimming fitness, come to the gym.
FITNESS SCHEDULE TO FIT
Swimming uses practically every muscle in the body. Good strength training on dry land should be focused on improving the stamina and strength in arms and legs. Strong abdominal and back muscles are also important. For preference, use flexible cords or elastics. Using dumbbells, you can also practise the various swimming techniques. Customise your training to fit your swimming goals and the number of laps you swim during a competition. Ask our fitness instructors for a fitness schedule to fit your needs.